Critical Reflection

Critical thinking is important in our daily lives. It is something one can do without it, but not live without it. This can be evident through this module, UCS1001 Critical Thinking and Communications. I have learnt the various processes, frameworks and models to apply when doing critical thinking. My goal for this module was to improve my critical thinking and communication skills, and this was done with the help of professor Brad.

The module started with teaching us how to write a descriptive reflection and applying the knowledge through the introduction of myself in the blog, summary of the rover and evaluating my classmates blogs. By doing so, I was able to learnt the common grammatical mistakes that me and my classmates would make, and also how to properly evaluate other people's work. This learning would help me in my future writings as well as peer evaluation for my classmates. In addition to this, I also learnt the difference between paraphrasing and summarising, as there was no in-depth explanation made when I learnt it in secondary school.

The lesson also enhance my critical thinking in writing by doing a reader response for the rover, and the technic report to propose for an engineering design. This writing also includes the learning of using the 7th edition APA style to my references used in the writing. This practice allowed me to enhance my critical thinking skills, as I learnt how to find sources related to my arguments, and how to cite the sources properly. Proper citation for sources was not of much importance in my polytechnic works, so there were not much emphasis on it, except for one of my module, Businees Communication Skills, done in polytechnic. Although the teaching contents were quite similar, this module made a greater impression of how to apply critical thinking skills in my writing. This is because there were more class activities to test our understanding on the subject.

Without this module, I would have always thought that critical thinking only applies when writing for an argumentative report or when debating with others on a certain argument, and not realising that I was applying it when conversing with others as well. By learning these skills, I would be able to apply this knowledge to my Just In Time learning when documenting for my Project 1 report, as it consists of our understanding on the lesson and what can be learnt from this lesson.

Incomparison to my previous works, such as comprehension writing in secondary and project works done in polytechnic, the feedbacks given were pointed out clearly. This further enhanced my learning as I was able to know what I did wrong, and how I could improve on them.


Edited: 2 Dec 2021

Comments